Friday, November 27, 2015

Wrapping it Up

So that’s it, then. Yesterday I took my last final exam, next Wednesday is our re-entry workshop and farewell dinner, and on Thursday we’ll fly out to Chobe for our final 5-day excursion with the program. It all seems surreal. I finally have an easy excuse to refuse people who shamelessly hit on me—“Oh, by the way, I’ll be leaving town in less than a week.”
“When are you coming back?”
“I don’t know, maybe never.”

Because why wouldn't I take a picture of a family of monkeys?

But life goes on. Yesterday, I planned and cooked an entire Thanksgiving meal for my host family and their guests, a total of 10 people. With three friends helping (s/o to Isaiah, Keante, and Aziza!) we cooked:two roast chickens, stuffing, gravy, glazed carrots, green beans, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls, and two butternut squash pies. So minus a few substitutions (chicken for turkey, butternut for pumpkin), it was a pretty classic Thanksgiving meal. In classic Amanda fashion, I took no pictures, but several of the others did, so I’ll post those in a few days.
Today, I said goodbye to the adorable preschoolers at BORNUS, who are going on their Christmas vacation. After I told them (in Setswana) that I would be going back to America, they all started waving and saying, “See you tomorrow!” I’m glad they’re remembering the English phrases I’ve taught them, but I don’t think they fully grasped the meaning of that one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The preschool graduates, at the ceremony a few weeks ago.

After wrapping up at BORNUS, I headed over to the Condom Use Campaign organized by Nkaikela Youth Group. We had local entertainers perform, and we distributed hundreds of condoms, but my role was more mundane. I was the snack girl, and my job was simple—not. I had to make sure that everyone who was staying for the condom demonstrations received snacks, that interlopers did not receive snacks, and that those who had already received snacks did not receive more snacks. Meanwhile, there were dozens of people yelling at me for food at all times. I stopped for a moment to take a drink of water, and a man asked me, “How many bottles of water have you had?” “This is my first,” I responded. “Well, you’re letting us die of thirst over here, while you just keep drinking and drinking the water that’s supposed to be for us.” Right.
For comic relief, we had a ridiculously drunken man attempt to grope various members of the crowd (including me). One of said crowd members happened to be a police officer, and she cuffed him, much to the humor of everyone else. He attempted to run, fell flat on his face, and was taken away by some other officers a few minutes later.
In the next few days, I’m trying to visit all the places I’ve been eyeing during my combi drives through Greater Gaborone. I went to a beautiful tuck shop I’d only seen from the road (yes, I actually took a picture of this one), and I’ve planned to visit a traditional healer next week with one of my weightlifting buddies. According to the sign, he offers a variety of services, including resolving property disputes and solving “all love and sexual problems.” We’ve decided to ask for luck, because who knows when we might need it? I also hope to check out the Obama All-American Restaurant and the Alliance Française, so we’ll see how that goes. Only 11 days until I leave this beautiful country! Until then, sala sentle!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment