Sunday, August 16, 2015

An Amazing Weekend

Thankfully, I only have one class on Fridays. Unfortunately, that class is at 7am, so I have to wake up at 5:30 in order to make it on time (by public transportation, it takes 40 minutes to get to the university from my homestay). After my class, I started working with the 5-6 year olds in the daycare center at BORNUS! Although they speak very little English, they were delighted to see me. Each student came forward and introduced him/herself, using the following format:

“Hello, everybody. [wave] My name is ________. I am ____ years old. I am a [girl/boy]. When I grow up, I want to be a ______ to do ______.”

I am convinced that none of the students had any idea what he or she was saying, especially since the teachers would prompt each student on his/her intended career. One of the students wanted to be an economist so that she could “help Botswana compete in the world markets.” Other students wanted to be social workers, accountants, or lawyers, all careers that were definitely not on my radar at age 5. During “singing time,” all the students sang “Baa Baa Black Sheep” and other English nursery rhymes, although, once again, I doubt that they understood the songs. “Have you any wool?” quickly degenerated into “halalala wool,” which was actually pretty adorable. IMG_20150812_153916_897[1]IMG_20150812_153936_974[1]

I also met a fellow American at BORNUS, an elderly Peace Corps volunteer. I was shocked by how grateful I was to meet another American out there in Tlokweng. While most people speak English, typical Botswana English is heavily accented, and I often have trouble understanding.

That evening, I had another taste of home when I attended Shabbat services for the first time since arriving in Botswana. There are maybe eight Jews in the entire country, and all showed up around Avner and Nurit’s table. (We had a good laugh about what the Botswana version of JDate would look like.) Since it was Shabbat, I didn’t bring my camera, but you can find pictures of the home online at https://jewishphotolibrary.smugmug.com/AFRICA/AFRICASouth/BOTSWANA. The service and dinner were lovely, and it was so comforting to know that some traditions are the same around the world.

Last night, I explored Botswana nightlife at Absolut Lounge, a local nightclub, with some of the other international students from U.B.. The music wasn’t great, but it was great getting to meet students from around the world who, like me, had somehow wound up in Gaborone, Botswana! I’m looking forward to exploring more of the city with them soon. Until next time, sala sentle!

P.S. These pictures were taken at Absolut during the Amazing Race, not last night. I’m really not much of a photographer; I often forget to bring my camera places. Embarrassed smile
GOPR1584GOPR1587GOPR1592GOPR1585

1 comment: