Saturday, August 1, 2015

Uniquely Gabs

Now that I’ve been here almost a week, I’ve finally begun to notice some of the things that make Gaborone so unique. There are regularly cats, dogs, cows, chickens, and goats in the streets; today a goat herd was standing on the sidewalk next to U.B. while one of the goats pressed its front legs against the chain-link fence. A few days ago, my homestay sister Rati sent me to chase a chicken out of the yard. She manned the automatic gate while I waved a broom and shooed it out of doors. I don’t have pictures of the event, but I do have pictures of our neighborhood (yes, that is a cow down the street) and of Rati in front of the house.

IMG_20150730_144428_870IMG_20150729_172019_978

Another, less fortunate feature of Gaborone is the high prevalence of theft. Yesterday, I was “held up” for five pula (approx. $0.50). After I got out of the combi (the public van that I take to school), two of my neighbors came up to me and told me to give them money for cigarettes or they wouldn’t let me pass. Apparently they hadn’t realized I was standing in front of my house. I just ignored them and went inside, but when I told my host father, he came out and scolded them in Setswana. It’s gonna be an awkward next few months, since I see those guys sitting outside their house almost every day. Still, attempting to hold me up for only five pula was really pretty generous of them.

To enjoy the happier side of Gaborone, we have had cultural lessons in music and dance, as well as a tour of the city in the style of the Amazing Race, a TV show. Here are some pictures:

IMG_20150729_155100_900IMG_20150801_081638_596GOPR1576IMG_20150730_142510_110

Top left: a marimba demonstration; top right: view from Kgale Hill; bottom left: posing with a combi during the Amazing Race; bottom right street near the University

After an exhausting week of orientation activities, I love coming home in the evenings to my host family. Rati and I get along really well. In the past week, we have discussed everything from cultural differences to hair products. Both of us have a habit of “blabbing,” as Rati calls it, so the evenings have been very congenial. Next week, we’ll start classes, so I’ll have to see how things turn out then. She’s taking the standard third-year law courses (almost all courses are predetermined if you are doing a standard four-year program at U.B.), while I will be taking the following:

  • Parasitology for Health Sciences
  • Basic Toxicology
  • Public Health Issues in Botswana
  • Introductory Setswana
  • Social Problems in Southern Africa

I will also be working 4.5 hours per week at various local clinics, and I’m hoping to volunteer with a local organization, although I’m still waiting to hear back from the coordinator. I’m surprised to be saying this, but I can’t wait for classes to start! Until then, sala sentle!

No comments:

Post a Comment